Monday, January 18, 2010

3 Weeks & Counting

We are starting our 3rd week of the new year - and I'm still sticking to my schedule! Its amazing.

I committed to work on certain projects on set days each week. This is new for me - I have just been kind of "rolling with the flow". But I was tired of always being behind and just putting out the current hottest fire.

Monday is my day for blogging, tweeting and updating books for a Foundation I volunteer for. In the past I would get caught up in answering everyone's questions and just let these jobs slide. Well, as you can see from my blog list - I let it slide from last May - that is not acceptable! And the foundation calendar & books got updated just before the board meeting.

Part of my problem has been that I would simply forget. Well, let me tell you...To Do lists are my best friend this year. This may be 2nd nature to most of you, but it is a struggle for me. I would try to keep lists, but would loose them, or the list would be so doodled on, I couldn't make it out. I was also bad about taking a scrap of paper and writing a note on it if I couldn't find my list - then I'd lose the note!

This year I am trying once again to use a time-management system with a weekly calendar. AND THEN TO OPEN IT! Simple isn't it. I have those weekly, monthly & quarterly items noted for the year. Then I use Post-Its to keep track of the stuff I have to remember. I also note all promises if have made to customers and even put message slips in my planner if I have them.

I've already laid out my marketing planner for this year - with post-it notes. They are little strips of notes. I wrote all of our products on a separate note and then put them on the year at a glance calendar. Now, if I get a special from one of my vendors, I can easily change my plan to pass that particular savings on to my customer. Love it!

Wondering how I have been in business all these years? Me too...but I must admit I have great employees. And it isn't that I lost business (probably did, but don't know it), but that I want more business - and I feel my personal organization is a major factor for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment